adventures (54)

Blog posts on sports, outdoor activities, and encounters with nature.

Sorted chronologically, newest first. 54 posts.

Life as a hunter-gatherer must be hard
10/8/18
After many years of thinking that I ought to gather mushrooms one day and learn to identify those sought-after chanterelles, I finally wound up doing it. It was an ordinary morning. Margareta thought she's take a walk, I tagged along. And she brought a basket — just in case. Read more>>>

Let the reminiscing begin!
10/6/17
One wishing to see planes can just go to the Air Force Museum, but an even better alternative is to catch an airshow and see these planes in action – in their element. And where's a better place to see this than in the home of Carl Cederström's old flight school, and the home of SAAB? Read more>>>

Two good excuses for not blogging the whole month
10/6/13
After a whole month of Swedish adventures and experiences, mom and dad will fly to Germany on Tuesday morning. In Plankstadt, they'll be with my sister's family until mid-July, before leaving again for Metro Manila — their home sweet home, halfway around the world. Read more>>>

Miscellaneous tales and pictures from Vrinnevi
10/4/18
The first kilometer of the green trail runs a bit parallel to the 800-meter trail, christened the "Experience trail". It's new from last year and it has interactive signs informing guests about the different animals and plants that can be found in Vrinnevi. If you're observant, you can see the "animals" hiding behind the trees! Read more>>>


At last, a recap
10/2/6
I continued swimming classes. We had a surprise test last Thursday – the kind 5th graders usually take to see their ability to swim, which was to swim 200 meters on breaststroke, without rest. The swimming association declares one "officially" able to swim after this. Or at least, passing the test raises your chances of surviving in water. Read more>>>

That bump, my nemesis
10/1/15

Counting 2006, and maybe even 2009 skiing with Jeline, the scoreboard seems to be: The evil bump: 5; Joy: 0. Go to post>>>

A scared cat no more
09/12/13
Remember Joy the Cat? Fifteen weeks ago, I couldn't swim to literally save my own life. I panicked as soon as I had to tiptoe in a pool or swallowed pool water by mistake, and I wrongly thought that I had to thrash my arms wildly just to keep afloat. But now, I can swim! Read more>>>

Nature near you
09/10/20
One thing that I absolutely love about being in Sweden is the ability to move around in nature in a place near you live. "Tame" nature or "wilder" nature, just pick a place and a bus to take you there, and in less than 20 minutes' time from leaving your cozy apartment, you can find yourself hiking on a forest path or making your own forest path. And we've been doing one of either of that for the past three Saturdays... Read more>>>

Joy the Cat
09/9/9
I have been thinking a lot about the swim school for adults organized by the local swim team – in fact I've been pondering over (and delaying it) for about two years. The topic came up again over lunch with colleagues last Wednesday, and when I rang the swim team that same afternoon, they told me they had one slot left for a class that started the next day. Did I want to take it? I was taken by surprise. But well, why not? Read more>>>


10 km in 56:46!
09/8/31
Ran Tjejmilen this year again – it's the biggest race for women in Sweden with more than 21,000 participants this year. I beat my old time by almost 2 minutes! (last year's result was 58:24; this year's is 56:46). That's despite stopping to pour a glass of water on my head on the 7th kilometer... Read more>>>

The Story of Little Checkered Riding Hood
09/8/4
Once upon a time, in a far away land called the Kingdom of Sweden, there lived a little pretty girl (ehem!) called Little Checkered Riding Hood. She was not very tall indeed by the height average of the Kingdom, which is why she was called Little. And she was called Checkered because she borrowed a checkered shirt from The Fairy Godmother in the countryside where, and as we all know, everybody owns a checkered shirt... Read more>>>

Four people on eight wheels
09/7/11
More cycling pictures, this time from a bicycle tour we did with Mats and Margareta last Sunday in Kolmården, the hilly forests north of Norrköping... Read more>>>

Product review # 4
09/7/7
In contrast to my previous product reviews – of things ranging from hiking boots to a yoga mat, this one is the real thing. About 3 months ago, Global Ride Productions contacted me and other bloggers to review a 3-DVD set called Hawaii Rides, a coached cycling program for indoor- and road bikers... Read more>>>

Back in the saddle again
09/4/13
The weather was perfect all weekend long, and inspired by last weekend's trip to Linköping, we thought we'd take the chance of doing another bike tour, this time to Söderköping and back. After an early Black Saturday breakfast of 2 croissants each (fasting is not my thing), we pumped our tires and headed for the road... Read more>>>


All I want to do is bicycle!
09/4/5
Who would have thought: just 24 hours ago, Marcus and I were trampling our fourth straight hour on our bicycles. We were nearing our destination after a long afternoon of biking. The low evening sun was in our eyes, and I swear my butt was starting to hurt from all that cycling!... Read more>>>

It's a girl!
09/2/24
It snowed a lot the night between Saturday and Sunday, so on Sunday morning we took ourselves out to the Himmelstalund field for a walk. We attacked each other with snowballs, had a snowball-throwing contest, and tried to see who could make the largest snowball. That's when we came up with an great idea. New, thick snow + large field with a slope = recipe for building a large snowman. Or snow-woman, for that matter... Read more>>>

What makes us go ouch on Thursday mornings
09/1/21
It's a new year and I thought that I would finally learn how to swim. Instead (but not regrettably), I found myself trying out a new sport I haven't even heard of until I got to Sweden: innebandy a.k.a. floorball. The best way to describe it is that it's like hockey, but not really. There's no ice, no skates, no body padding or helmets, no body checking, in our case no goalkeeper, and no puck... Read more>>>

Storms happen in Sweden, too
08/11/10
Though they don't last as long as tropical storms, they do exist, and from time to time, they can be destructive too. I happened to be looking out of the window taking pictures when a big spruce tree fell to the ground... Read more>>>

Oh, deer!
08/11 /5
We spotted another deer, just outside the window! At times like these, I really appreciate the camera's zoom function. Careful not to scare the deer away, I crept nearer the window to get a better angle. I also realized, looking at the pictures, that this was a different individual than the deer we spotted last week. This one has two horns... Read more>>>


Deer chase
08/10/27
Sometime after breakfast, this doe came walking into the field at the back of the house. It made me want to break out into Sound of Music-song: "Doe, a deer a female deer...!" My mental song was cut by the appearance of a male deer behind her, who came out from the forest... Read more>>>

Grilling socks in the wind shelter
08/10/19
Marcus and I meant to look for a pre-made wind shelter out in the forests in Kolmården a long time ago, but now seemed the perfect time. So just before lunch today, we drove out to a a lake called Stora Älgsjön (lit. The Big Elk Lake) with a couple of friends to look for one of the wind shelters we found a picture of online... Read more>>>

last weekend's trip to Mela
08/10/2
Two years ago, Marcus and I had an exciting whole-day bike tour around the forests of Kolmården, in a mountain north of the city. I didn't bring the camera at that time, so all the images are just in my head. But last Sunday, we went there again by car. It was as beautiful as I remembered, but in a different way, of course... Read more>>>

My day as a firefighter
08/9/28
Last week, I was looking desperately for something to do when I saw an ad. The fire department was organizing a course for women for them to see how it's like to be a fireman for a day. Partly because I was really itching for something to do but mostly because I thought it was a rare opportunity too exciting to pass, I rang them, and even ended up in the papers!... Read more>>>

I survived the Tjejmilen!
08/8/30
A 10-kilometer track. 25,000 participants. In the biggest women's running event in Sweden for both elite and amateur runners, I came up as number 3,794 in the timed race and fulfilled my personal goal of running under an hour... Read more>>>


70 kilometers on bike, and scars to show for it
08/8/18

Norrköping is 40 kilometers away from it's neighboring city of Linköping on a straight line. With a commuter train, it takes 26 minutes to travel between cities. By bus, the travel time is 40 minutes. Last Saturday, however, it took us 5 whole hours to get there... by bicycle... Read more>>>

Another reason to wish for sunny days
08/8/8

We finally got down to camping last week, on the way to visit our friend Per in Gränna. Yes, finally! When we didn't yet know what we would do for the summer, we even practiced camping out in Mats and Magareta's yard last spring, living two nights just a few measly meters away from their living room wall. This time, the camping area was at least further away from home... Read more>>>

The days are warm and the nights are clear
08/7/29

We tagged along with Göran and his girlfriend Saga-Britt in a sailing trip to the Swedish archipelago and then stopped at an island called Sötmaren near Söderköping. We experienced some of Sweden's warmest days and I even went for a dip – with my life vest, of course... Read more>>>

Our Amazing Car Trip!
08/7/13
Mats and Margareta invited us to a road trip to remember down to Sweden's Kingdom of Crystal and the country's second largest island, Öland. Three days and literally a thousand pictures later (We've got our hands full trying to sort them!), I'm tired and glad to be home but can't stop daydreaming... Read more>>>

Trånas, a city between two counties
08/7/2
Despite Tranås' small size it seems to have a lot to offer, not least if you love nature and trekking. There are two nature reserves within the vicinity and a large lake, the Sommen, where you can swim, fish, or take a tour by steamboat. Sweden's longest shopping street, called Storgatan (literally "The big street") is also to be found here in case you'd like to stick to civilization... Read more>>>

When bad things aren't so bad after all
08/5/19
My left knee still hurts It's my fault for being too stubborn. I thought I was better the moment I didn't feel the symptoms and then went cycling, spinning and running again, only for the pain to come back with a vengeance last Saturday. My ambitions of running the Vår Ruset today in 25 or so minutes dissolved as I realized that it could be harmful to join the run at all... Read more>>>

Swifter, higher, stronger (or so we hope)
08/5/4
Yesterday, we asked to be driven far out into the countryside so that we could run the way back to where we came from. Armed with a laminated map, a water bottle and a cell phone, we got dropped in Bjärka Säby, 11.6 kilometers south of where Marcus' godparents live, and started the run / jog / trudge towards their house... Read more>>>

Tenting: the great indoors
08/4/30
Thanks to a sunny week, the nights are now at plus-degrees. Summer looks like it's finally around the corner (though this is deceiving; the winds are chilly!) . What could be more inspiring to start the outdoor life? So, dreaming of future car tours, bike tours and campings, we lugged our tent from the city to the countryside and had a real night out in nature... Read more>>>

Vrinnevi forest
08/4/20
The weather institute SMHI forecasted a sunny week, so there is no excuse not to take ourselves out on a Sunday. Here are pictures from Vrinnevi forest, where we took an almost hour-and-a-half-long walk in 8-degree sunny weather this morning. The forest is about 10 minutes away by bike from our apartment... Read more>>>

I want in!
08/4/15
I'm trying to train for the vår ruset, a 5-kilometer fun run for women that will take place in 17 cities all around Sweden. Norrköping's vår ruset will be on the 19th of May, and my friend Karin and I are trying to set up a team of 6 so we can get a free picnic basket along with our 170/person joining fee... Read more>>>


Caught in the act, as usual
08/1/7
Skiing, I found out eventually, was actually very similar to doing kendo suriyashi, except that you have to take longer slides, and do it on snow. Or maybe it's rather like having to do suriyashi with two very long, flat and inflexible feet, on an oil-covered floor. Sometimes it just felt like my leg just want to slide forward ahead of me -- or sometimes even sideways -- threatening to make me do an unglamorous split... Read more>>>

Just got home from the circus!
07/9/9
The Brazil Jack circus, "Sweden's oldest touring circus" performed in Norrköping this weekend and we got two free tickets to the event from our friend Gertie, who couldn't come to the event herself. My expectations of cheeziness and screaming child spectators were pleasantly incorrect. These circus folk were really professionals, and they got me from the first circus trick!... Read more>>>>

Summer continues
07/8/8
This week is projected to be Sweden's warmest week of this year, despite only being 22 degrees and expecting rainfall on Friday! But no worries. We should enjoy the summer while it lasts, and for me that means I can enjoy it for roughly a week more... Read more>>>

Swedish summer
07/7/22
We're experiencing what is probably one of Sweden's worst summers right now. "Swedish summer" has even become an ironic remark to point out the real weather conditions here: the days are mostly cloudy, there are occasional warnings for local thunderstorms, the winds are cold and the nights even colder... Read more>>>

Hoorah hoorah hoorah, hoorah!
07/7/16
A wonderful and eventful weekend spent camping on water with Juanita, who is now officially seaworthy and running! Click here for some dramatic before and after pictures (you'll be surprised, I guarantee it!) For the camping-slash-sailing pictures of this past weekend, click on this other link... Read more>>>
Juanita hits the water!
07/7/6
The last five days' work finally paid off. After a whole week of working until late (yesterday, until 10 in the evening) and waking up to a perpetual feeling of tiredness, we were finally able to put the now-shiny Juanita into water today... Read more>>>

Trevlig midsommar!
07/6/23
Below is the midsummer pole (midsommarstång) in our celebrations at Snedskär. The pole and rings actually symbolize the male genitals thrust into the earth (which represents the woman) -- a pagan fertility symbol... Read more>>>

Count it on my list of firsts
07/6/16
Yep, sailing! First time this year, and first time for me. As a preparation for next week's midsummer events, Marcus and I helped Göran take his boat Magistri out from Herstadberg near the city Norrköping out to the bay and to Arkösund which lies in the archipelago... Read more>>>

All for the love of Juanita

07/5/2
We really should be getting back to our "real lives" now instead of tinkering around with boats. It's not our fault -- repairing is addicting, and I now know why it was so hard to call dad to lunch when he was... Read more>>>

So, so Swedish...
07/4/17
...to spend your free afternoon repairing a boat. That's the proud 'ole me on a photoshoot before we called it a day, the boat vacuumed and sanded. Been having the chinita look all week from the allergy of sorts... Read more>>>


Bread and biking
07/3/17
The apricot- and nut bread was a success! Half of it is now in the freezer and half of it is ready to eat for tonight's sandwiches. Perhaps if the ingredients were easier to find, I would have posted a recipe, but it calls for all sorts of weird healthy things... Read more>>>

Yeah!
07/3/8
It was my first time to bike alone today, I mean, ever in all my 23 years!! (Yeah, I'm one of those late bloomers, cheering at her own newfound skills like moms do to their drooly babies) I suppose it wasn't... Read more>>>

Winter waterland!
07/1/24
Finally, we have snow that stays. It was "record-cold" for this season today, despite it being "only" -6.5 C degrees out. (Last year in early February, the record was -15). Still, the temperature is enough to be... Read more>>>

Auuugh!
06/11/29
Just came come from a session of spinning, i.e. one of those group-torture activities they have out in the gym where members (like yours truly) pay to pedal like crazy for an hour, to the tune of Swedish... Read more>>>

Vrinnevi Forest Nature Reserve (bike tour wk 43)
06/10/30
This forest is just about 10 minutes away by bike from our apartment! (Hageby is where we do our groceries!) We biked it this forest last Saturday when we originally had no bike tour planned, walked around the root-covered... Read more>>>



Inter-city biking (on week 42)
06/10/21
As we planned, we had another bike tour this weekend. This time, for a different kind of challenge, we biked all the way to the next city of Söderköping south of here. I brought the camera this time, so I have a... Read more>>>

Our multi-sport bike tour (on wk 41)
06/10/19
The weather was good all of last week so we decided to go to on a longer bike tour last Sunday. From a tourist information site, we found out that in the forest and lakes north of Norrköping, there were pre-built... Read more>>>

Biking update
06/10/5
This is a picture of a railway bridge which we biked beside the other day. We stopped to watch the train pass by, really cool. I believe (which means it may not be objectively so) that I'm making good progress with the bike--considering that... Read more>>>

Biking away
06/6/6
Huhuhu! Nadapa ako kahapon on the way to Åby, an area north of this town. I was trying to do a 180-degree turn with the bike, miscaluculated the turn (because I was concentrating on not falling into a nearby ditch), and fell... Read more>>>

Wack-"Wacky" Golf Club
06/5/28
First, a list of new things I've learned and first things I've done this past year in Sweden (or the list I could think of at this time, anyway): how to ride a bicycle (top of my list); cross-country skiing (whee! hihi, feeling.); being in a sauna... Read more>>>